The programme uses in-depth methods to work with young parents on attachment, relationships and psychological preparation for parenthood.
Family nurses build supportive, therapeutic relationships with families and guide first time teenage parents so that they adopt healthier lifestyles for themselves and their babies; provide good care for their babies and plan their futures.
Useful information for professionals wishing to refer a family into the service.
- Wiltshire resident
- Age 19 years or under at last menstrual period
- First pregnancy as confirmed by health professional (including if first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, stillbirth or termination. Multiple births included)
- Notified to FNP Wiltshire prior to 24 weeks pregnant in order that recruitment and enrolment takes place before 28 weeks
- If family is planning to have the child adopted
- If family plan to leave area before child reaches 2 years old, for an extended period of time (3 months or longer)
- Women who have had a previous live birth
- Notification is later than 24 weeks
If Common Assessment Framework (CAF) open, please attach to FNP Notification Form.
To make a request for service, you can download a FNP Notification Form and email to VCL.WiltsFNP@nhs.net.
What happens next?
On receipt of the notification form, the family’s eligibility criteria is reviewed and if programme capacity allows, a Family Nurse will contact the family to arrange a home visit.
The family’s decision whether to join this voluntary programme will then be communicated to the referrer.