What is the Single Point of Access (SPA)?
Our Single Point of Access (SPA) is the key point of contact for children, young people, families, GPs and health and social care professionals to access advice and support from all Wiltshire Children’s Community Services. It is essentially the single ‘front door’ for all of our services!
The Single Point of Access aims to make the referral process smoother and ensure that families only need to tell their story once in order to access the care they need.
Why have we developed a SPA?
In 2016 we were commissioned by Wiltshire Council, NHS England and NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group to combine services from five providers into one integrated community health service. A key enabler for achieving this was to develop a SPA, so families can access advice and support from any of our services through a single ‘front door’.
How can the SPA help you?
The SPA coordinates community health care advice and support for all children and young people in Wiltshire. The aim is to make sure that every child and young person receives the appropriate support to meet their individual needs.
A dedicated team of customer focussed administrators provide advice and support on:
- The range of services that we offer
- Referral criteria for accessing our services
- Other organisations available in Wiltshire that may be able to provide help
- Guidance on the referral process
- Managing appointments
- Requesting repeat prescriptions and medical supplies
The SPA is supported by a team of experienced clinicians representing our services who will:
- Provide clinical advice over the phone for families and referrers
- Signpost to other appropriate acute and community services
- Triage referrals (including a Multi-disciplinary Team triage for complex referrals)